By Chris Sokoloski
Georgetown native Jonathan Maybank is in Europe for a USA Select basketball tour.
Maybank, a graduate of Georgetown High School and Roane State Community College, is playing 29 games in 21 days.
"It's a blessing for me to get this opportunity," Maybank said.
About 150 players from across the United States tried out for the traveling teams, but only 16 were chosen.
The goal of the tour is for the players to sign contracts to play for teams overseas.
USA Select players have played for teams in England, France, Saudi Arabia, Finland, Mexico, Spain, Australia, Portugal, Ireland, Ukraine and Germany.
Maybank would love to sign a contract and spend some time playing overseas and then come home.
"Wherever God takes me I really want to get back over here to play professionally."
Maybank studied exercise science at Roane, and when he's finished playing basketball he wants to be a strength and conditioning coach at a college. He worked as a personal trainer while at Roane.
The first stop on the European tour is London, and Maybank said he is looking forward to seeing the guards at Buckingham Palace, and "trying to soak up" a completely different culture.
The players will have time for some sightseeing before before they play.
Notice about comments:
- Most Viewed
- Sampit shooting leads to attempted murder charges
- Andrews football coach resigns
- Georgetown police name robbery suspect
- Robbery at PI Bakery (Updated)
- Hilliard: Police have no evidence in The Krazy Fish case
- POLICE BLOTTER: Disturbing discovery
- Three robberies, same MO, in three days
- Pizza Hut to return to Georgetown
- POLICE BLOTTER: Civil War bomb found
- Obituaries, May 15, 2013