Frank Falor Jr. spent the majority of his life in Georgetown and loved to photograph and paint pictures of his hometown.
Falor was born Oct. 17, 1914, the oldest of seven children. His father worked briefly for the Georgetown Times and Falor started working for the Times part-time when he was 16. He went full-time after graduating from high school and worked until 1943 when he joined the Army.
Falor was trained as a radio operator and was sent to Europe and survived the Battle of the Bulge. He served two years and three months.
While serving in Europe, Falor photographed the cities he visited while on leave, including London and Paris, and then painted copies of the photos when he returned home.
After being honorably discharged, he returned to the Times and worked until retiring in the 1950s.
He built his own camera and photo enlarger and continued photographing and painting his hometown.
A lifelong bachelor, Falor was once referred to as the “Bicycling Romeo of the Times” in a column called “Times Tattles.’
Falor was 57 when he died on Feb. 27, 1973.
Falor’s younger brother, Bill, worked at the Times for 47 years, retiring in 1983, and Bill’s twin, Essie, worked at the paper mill for decades, starting around World War II.
Falor’s great-niece Cathy Harnage Lee shared her uncle’s photo and painting of the Town Clock with the Georgetown Times.
The Rice Museum is now located in the clock tower.
The tower continues to await a replacement clock and clock faces.
Rice Museum director Jim Fitch did not return several phone calls seeking a status update on the clock installation. The clock had not worked since May 3, 2007 when lightning struck the clock tower.
By Chris Sokoloski
Notice about comments: