Three fires in Georgetown on Saturday
Georgetown City Fire responded to three separate fires Saturday.
Fire destroyed a house and a backhoe in Georgetown's West End Saturday morning.
Georgetown City Fire Chief Joey Tanner says the fire was at a vacant house at 2219 Front Street. He said the fire was reported at about 6 a.m. and when firefighters arrived the house was fully engulfed in flames.
Tanner said the flames spread to a backhoe next to the house. The backhoe was there because the house was about to be demolished.
The house was between two mobile homes which were not damaged by the fire.
Firefighters remained on the scene until about 9:30 a.m., Tanner said.
The second fire was reported at 1810 Winyah Street at about 7 p.m.
Tanner said smoke was coming from the house when firefighters arrived. The fire was contained to the kitchen but there was smoke damage in the rest of the house.
The American Red Cross responded to help the three occupants of the home.
The third fire was reported at about 10 p.m. at 417 Reservoir Street. Tanner said it too was a kitchen fire that spread to the attic.
The fire was under control within 15 minutes.
"We want to remind everyone kitchen fires remains one of the leading causes of fires in Georgetown," Tanner said. "We encourage you never leave your cooking unattended."
Notice about comments: