A fire inside a large machine at the Sampit Lumber Mill Monday kept firefighters busy for several hours.
Georgetown County Assistant Fire Chief Tony Hucks said the fire inside the chipper, a machine that turns wood chunks into saw dust. He said something sparked that caused the wood to catch on fire.
Because of the location and size of the machine, it took quite a while to completely extinguish the flames.
The ladder truck from the Georgetown City Fire Department was used to help fight the fire.
Hucks said there were no injuries in the fire that was reported at about 3:30 p.m. Crews left the scene at about 8:30 p.m.
Notice about comments:
- Most Viewed
- Child drowns in Andrews
- Georgetown woman wins Wheel of Fortune
- Response to Scoville
- POLICE BLOTTER: Suspicious man in Maryville
- POLICE BLOTTER Sampit man high on cocaine said he flew up to the roof
- Tropical Storm Andrea update
- Woman escapes severe injury after grill explosion
- Aviation manufacturer investing $5.5 million in Andrews
- Response to Swatzel ad
- Police Blotter: Inmate attacked at GCDC