A body was found early Thursday by a woman and her 13 year old son who were walking on a pathway next to the offices of the Georgetown County School District on Church Street.
And now, Georgetown police are looking for the killer.
Georgetown County Coroner Kenny Johnson identified the victim as 25 year old Alfonso Terrell Thomas of Duke Street.
Police Capt. Nelson Brown says the body was found at about 7 a.m. next to the school district property on a path between Legion and Church Streets.
He said counseling services will be offered to the woman and child who made the discovery.
Johnson said the wound that was found was on Thomas’ head but an autopsy will be conducted at 9 a.m. Friday at the Medical University of South Carolina today to determine how he died.
“It may be a gunshot wound, but I really can’t say until the autopsy is conducted,” Johnson said.
He said it appears Thomas had been on the pathway “for several hours but not all night.”
The motive for the killing, Brown said, is unknown. Investigators are canvassing the area trying to talk to anyone who may have information that will help in the case.
He said Investigator Aaron Lynn has been assigned to lead the investigation. Anyone who has any information that may help authorities find whoever is responsible is urged to call 545-4300 or our "Tip Line" at 545-4400.
Notice about comments:
- Most Viewed
- Sampit shooting leads to attempted murder charges
- Andrews football coach resigns
- Georgetown police name robbery suspect
- Robbery at PI Bakery (Updated)
- Hilliard: Police have no evidence in The Krazy Fish case
- POLICE BLOTTER: Disturbing discovery
- Three robberies, same MO, in three days
- Pizza Hut to return to Georgetown
- POLICE BLOTTER: Civil War bomb found
- Obituaries, May 15, 2013