A Pawleys Island man died after an accident involving his pickup truck and a Williamsburg County Transit Bus with 29 people on board Tuesday evening.
The accident happened shortly past 6 p.m. on Highway 17 at the intersection of Beaumont Drive in Pawleys Island.
Georgetown County Deputy Coroner Sam Hodge said 47 year old Greg Smith of Ferguson Drive died after being transported to the hospital.. He was the driver of the 1997 Dodge pickup.
S.C. Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. Bob Beres said Smith — the father of three — was leaving Club Isis and was crossing Highway 17 when his truck and the bus collided. The truck was hit on the driver’s side and the jaws of life had to be used to remove Smith from his vehicle.
Beres said it’s unknown if Smith was wearing a seat belt.
Altogether, 13 people were removed from the bus — some were passed through a window — and were taken to hospitals in Georgetown and Horry Counties, Beres said.
Bob Beebe, spokesman for Midway Fire Rescue said one other person is in critical condition.
The bus, which was traveling south when the accident occurred, did have a surveillance camera and the tape will be reviewed as part of the investigation.
Midway Fire was assisted by Murrells Inlet, Horry County and Georgetown City and County.
Notice about comments:
- Most Viewed
- Sampit shooting leads to attempted murder charges
- Andrews football coach resigns
- Georgetown police name robbery suspect
- Robbery at PI Bakery (Updated)
- Hilliard: Police have no evidence in The Krazy Fish case
- POLICE BLOTTER: Disturbing discovery
- Pizza Hut to return to Georgetown
- Three robberies, same MO, in three days
- POLICE BLOTTER: Civil War bomb found
- Obituaries, May 15, 2013