Two traffic accidents this week in Georgetown County has resulted in two fatalities.
One of the accidents occurred the evening of July 4th when a teenager visiting family was killed after being struck by a vehicle.
Georgetown County Coroner Kenny Johnson identifies the victim as 16 year old but we have learned she is a 16 year old Victoria Knowlin from New York.
According to S.C. Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. Judd Jones, the accident happened at about 9:15 p.m. on Powell Road near the intersection with Saints Delight Road.
Jones said the teen was walking when she stepped onto Powell Road and was struck by a Ford SUV being driven by a 51 year old Georgetown man who was driving east at the time.
Jones said Knowlin was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver was not hurt and is not expected to be charged but the accident remains under investigation.
The other accident occurred Tuesday afternoon when a moped being driven by 59 year old James E. Moultrie of North Merriman Road was struck by a vehicle on Highway 521 near Gene’s Country Store.
Moultrie was first rushed to Waccamaw Community Hospital and then Grand Strand Hospital where he died Thursday morning of multiple trauma, Johnson said.
Notice about comments:
- Most Viewed
- Sampit shooting leads to attempted murder charges
- Andrews football coach resigns
- Georgetown police name robbery suspect
- Robbery at PI Bakery (Updated)
- Hilliard: Police have no evidence in The Krazy Fish case
- POLICE BLOTTER: Disturbing discovery
- Pizza Hut to return to Georgetown
- Three robberies, same MO, in three days
- POLICE BLOTTER: Civil War bomb found
- Obituaries, May 15, 2013