On Thursday night, the Georgetown Times Facebook page reached the 10,000 “like” mark when reader Sharon Williams signed onto the site.
Ironically, the milestone was reached exactly two years to the day after the 5,000 “likes” mark was hit.
The Georgetown Times has been on Facebook since the spring of 2009. Former Times intern Anne Marion designed the page. It was unknown at the time if anyone would sign on — but they have.
“It's terrific that so many people ‘Like’ our Facebook page. For 10,000 folks to put their trust in us is humbling,” said Times’ Editor Tommy Howard. “We also have more than 50,000 "unique visitors" to our Website every month.”
The Facebook page is used to disseminate breaking news, weather forecasts and updates, sports scores and to keep readers apprised of what can be found in the print edition of the Georgetown Times.
“Our print versions of our three newspapers reach thousands more every week. In fact we reach more than 70 percent of households in our market area with the Georgetown Times, Waccamaw Times and Inlet Outlook,” Howard said. “After 215 years of publishing its an honor and an awesome responsibility to provide the news and community coverage to so many of our friends and neighbors.”
Notice about comments:
- Most Viewed
- Sampit shooting leads to attempted murder charges
- Georgetown police name robbery suspect
- POLICE BLOTTER: Disturbing discovery
- Pizza Hut to return to Georgetown
- Three robberies, same MO, in three days
- Obituaries, May 15, 2013
- SLED: Former Midway Fire spokesman admits $36,000 thefts
- POLICE BLOTTER: One dead, one sick horse
- POLICE BLOTTER: Dog dragged as punishment
- Larry Fox dies