Joanne Patterson, former executive director of Citizens Against Spouse Abuse, was arrested and charged with embezzlement of public funds on Tuesday.
According to the arrest warrant, the 52-year-old Myrtle Beach resident took $29,600 that was given by the S.C. Department of Public Safety to buy two vans and used it for other purposes.
The alleged crime happened between Sept. 29, 2011 and June 1, 2012.
Sissy Rutherford, chairwoman of CASA’s board, declined to comment on the arrest.
“We’re not making any more public statements. This is done and over with and we’re just moving on.”
Rutherford had recently said the money was used for operating expenses.
By Chris Sokoloski
Notice about comments:
- Most Viewed
- Sampit shooting leads to attempted murder charges
- Andrews football coach resigns
- Georgetown police name robbery suspect
- Robbery at PI Bakery (Updated)
- Hilliard: Police have no evidence in The Krazy Fish case
- POLICE BLOTTER: Disturbing discovery
- Pizza Hut to return to Georgetown
- Three robberies, same MO, in three days
- POLICE BLOTTER: Civil War bomb found
- Obituaries, May 15, 2013