Georgetown County firefighters are on the scene of multiple brush fires in the area of Annie Village and Genesis Roads in Plantersville.
The flames are being fanned by the windy conditions and are threatening a graveyard, homes and a church.
Assistance was requested from Horry County which sent an engine to stand by at a Georgetown County fire station.
The fires were about five acres in size when crews arrived but grew because of the wind.
Crews were working to protect structures because the fire was too big to fight until the South Carolina Forestry Commission arrived with plows. They arrived at about 11:35 p.m.
At 11:45 p.m., a fire on one side of Genesis Drive was being plowed and a second plow was being used on a fire on the other side of Genesis Drive.
At about 11:25 p.m. a firefighter said winds were gusting at 40 mph at the scene.
As of 11:48 p.m. no structures had been damaged.
Notice about comments:
- Most Viewed
- Sampit shooting leads to attempted murder charges
- Andrews football coach resigns
- Georgetown police name robbery suspect
- Robbery at PI Bakery (Updated)
- Hilliard: Police have no evidence in The Krazy Fish case
- POLICE BLOTTER: Disturbing discovery
- Three robberies, same MO, in three days
- POLICE BLOTTER: Civil War bomb found
- Pizza Hut to return to Georgetown
- Obituaries, May 15, 2013